Tuesday 3 July 2012

Redo and Rework



Have you ever wished you could just pick up a paintbrush and redo your mistakes? Oops, I forgot to say sorry.....repaint. I said something I didn't mean.....repaint. I didn't make the best choice the first time around so I had to do it again.... repaint.

I Just finished painting a picture of a parrot. I had to redo it and rework it. The initial fear came when I stood looking at the blank canvas. WHERE DO I START????? The next step was drawing a light sketch of what I wanted. Then putting on the layers of paint, determining the light source and the focus point. I initially made the beak too big and down too low, so I had to make some pencil sketches, compare them to my painting and then paint over the original beak. The next issue was the feathers, at first they were too small and close together. It looked like the poor bird had been blown up with air and was going to explode. So I did some research on the internet, watched a few David Kitler videos, and just let go, trusted myself and did it. Surprisingly the large brush was the one that worked the best. I was putting too much emphasis on the details and forgot about the larger picture. The painting isn't what I initially set out to do, it's not a lot like the original photograph, but it's an expression of me. I like the final product.

Painting is so symbolic of life. At some time or another you just have to put something on the canvas. The blank paper is not going to paint itself, you have to trust that you can begin. Sometimes we need to redo something that we thought we already learned. Sometimes we just need to step away and give it some time to process until we start seeing the big picture. Sometimes we need to turn to others for advice and help. Life's issues can get us down, distract our focus and at times simply paralyze us. I think we always have to remember that at anytime in our life we can do a redo or a rework. The life you end up with isn't always the life you thought you would have. The life you wanted may not be attainable, but if we just begin and always remember it's not about attaining perfection it's about the process, then we can live a life that's rich with experience and beauty. So pick up that brush and just start.

"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him (God) who gives me strength." Philippians 4:12b-13



No comments:

Post a Comment